Marwah Abdalla, MD, MPH is a clinical cardiologist, cardiac intensivist, and Florence Irving Associate Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center. She is the Director of Education for the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and is a full-time faculty member in the Center for Behavioral Cardiovascular Health at Columbia. Her areas of expertise include critical care cardiology and hypertension. Dr. Abdalla is board certified in internal medicine, cardiology, and echocardiography. She is also an NIH funded clinical investigator with a research interest in the cardiovascular manifestations of hypertension, assessed by echocardiography, ambulatory blood pressure monitoring, and sleep.
Dr. Abdalla received her Medical Degree and Masters in Public Health from Yale School of Medicine and Yale School of Public Health. She was an Intern, Resident, and Chief Resident at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. She completed her training as a cardiology Fellow and Chief Fellow at Columbia University Medical Center.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Adult Cardiology
- Critical Care Cardiology
- Assistant Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- Director of Cardiac Intensive Care Unit Education
- Florence Irving Associate Professor of Medicine
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
- Special Needs
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, 2006 Yale University School of Medicine
- Internship: Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Residency: Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship: 2012 NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Fellowship: 2014 NewYork-Presbyterian Columbia University Medical Center
Committees, Societies, Councils
American College of Cardiology
- Council Member, Early Career Academic Working Group 2014-present
- Council Member, Early Career International Working Group 2014-present
American Heart Association
- Vice Chair, Open Science Committee 2019-present
- Council Member, Scientific Publishing Committee 2016-present
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
Honors & Awards
- 2017 - Lewis Katz Cardiovascular Research Prize-Columbia University
- 2012 - “Physician of the Year” New York Presbyterian-Columbia University
- 2012 - “Up and Coming, Future Stars of Cardiology”-Cardiosource Magazine
- 2012 - Columbia University Medical House Staff Fellow Award for Outstanding Teaching
- 2009 - Residency Mentor Award Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- 2008 - Martin P. Solomon Education Award Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- 2006 - Norma Bailey Berniker Prize (Thesis Prize) Yale School of Medicine
- 2006 - Laboratory Medicine Award (Thesis Prize) Yale School of Medicine
Dr. Abdalla's clinical research focuses on understanding the mechanistic link between hypertension, target organ damage, and cardiovascular disease outcomes. This research includes work on out-of-office blood pressure assessment, abnormal ambulatory blood pressure phenotypes including masked hypertension and nocturnal hypertension, and sleep disorders.
1. Abdalla, M. Akwo, E., Bluemke, D, Lima, JAC, Shimbo, D, Maurer, M, Bertoni, A. Association between Reduced Myocardial Contraction Fraction and Cardiovascular Disease Outcomes: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. International Journal of Cardiology, 2019 Jul 11. pii: S0167-5273(19)30083-X. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2019.07.040.
2. Anstey, DE, Tanner, RM, Booth, JN, Bress, AP, Diaz, KM, Sims, M, Ogedegbe, O, Muntner, P, Abdalla, M. Inappropriate Left Ventricular Mass and Cardiovascular Disease Events in African Americans: the Jackson Heart Study, J Am Heart Assoc, in press 2019.
3. Abdalla, M., Booth, JN., Seals, SR., Spruill, TM., Viera, AJ., Diaz, KM., Sims, M., Muntner, P., Shimbo, D. Masked Hypertension and Incident Hypertension among Blacks in the Jackson Heart Study. Hypertension, 2016. doi:10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.115.06904
4. Abdalla, M., Booth, JN., Diaz, KM., Sims, M., Muntner, P., Shimbo, D. Hypertension and Alterations in Left Ventricular Geometry in African Americans: the Jackson Heart Study. Journal of the American Society of Hypertension, 2016 Jun 2. pii: S1933-1711(16)30324-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jash.2016.05.010.
5. Abdalla, M., Kovach, N., Liu, C., Damp, J.B., Jahangir, E., Hilliard, A., Gopinathannair, R., Abu-Fadel, M.S., El Chami, M.F., Gafoor, S., Vedanthan, R., Sanchez-Shields, M., George, JC., Priester, T., Alasnag, M., Barker, C., Freeman, A.M. The Importance of Global Health Experiences in the Development of New Cardiologists. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2015 Dec 24. pii: S0735-1097(15)07529-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2015.10.089.