Allan Schwartz, MD
Allan Schwartz, MD is a Cardiologist, Chief, Division of Cardiology, Vice Chair, Department of Medicine and Seymour Milstein and Harold Ames Hatch Professor of Clinical Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center/Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
He graduated magna cum laude in physics and mathematics from the City College of New York in 1967. He received an MA in physics in 1968 from Harvard University and an MD from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1974, where he was awarded the Robert Loeb and Janeway Prizes. He completed an internship and residency in internal medicine at the Presbyterian Hospital and he received a fellowship in clinical and research cardiology at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Schwartz returned to the College of Physicians & Surgeons in 1978 as an academic clinical cardiologist.
Dr. Schwartz has been vigorously involved in patient care, education of medical students, medical housestaff and cardiology fellows, as well as clinical research with a current focus on valvular heart disease. He has progressively assumed various leadership and administrative roles serving as Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory and Associate Director of the Division of Cardiology and the Seymour Milstein and Harold Ames Hatch Professor of Clinical Medicine. Dr. Schwartz has also played an important administrative role within the Department of Medicine, serving as Vice Chairman of the Department of Medicine.
Dr. Schwartz has been the driving force behind the development of the NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center Cardiovascular Service Line and the development of the new Vivian and Seymour Milstein Family Heart Center. Under Dr. Schwartz’s leadership, there has been a major increase in the breadth of cardiology clinical and research activities, resulting in the Division of Cardiology’s attaining international prominence and emerging as one of the leading cardiology training centers in the United States.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Adult Cardiology
- Cardiology Consultation
- Clinical Cardiology
- Coronary Artery Disease
- General Cardiology
- Heart Valve Disease
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Preventive Cardiology
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Seymour Milstein Professor of Cardiology (in Medicine)
- Harold Ames Hatch Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- Chief, Division of Cardiology
- Physician-in-Chief, Vivian and Seymour Milstein Family Heart Center
- Vice Chair, Department of Medicine
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Harvard Medical School
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease