Our Approach and Expertise
The Women's Heart Center is dedicated to the advanced treatment and prevention of heart disease in women throughout their lives.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for women in the United States and causes more deaths than breast cancer, cervical cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease combined. At the Women's Heart Center, our focus is on the specific ways that heart disease manifests in women, and how factors such as pregnancy and menopause may complicate heart health.
Our team provides the highest level of medical care through every stage of women's lives. At the same time, we are advancing research in the field and educating women and health providers about the novel aspects of cardiovascular disease in women.
Heart care at the center is provided by an expert team of doctors and allied health care professionals with a depth of experience in fields that affect women's cardiovascular health. Among our specialties are:
- Heart disease prevention: Risk assessment, blood pressure and cholesterol management
- Pregnancy and heart disease
- Coronary artery disease
- Vascular disease: spontaneous coronary artery dissection (SCAD), fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD), peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Advanced heart failure and transplant
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Thromboembolic disease: Pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis
- Hormone replacement therapy counseling
- Electrophysiology: Atrial fibrillation, pacemaker, supraventricular tachycardia (SVT)
- Cancer and heart disease
Heart to Heart: A Conversation With Dr. Jhalani and Dr. Giardina About the Women's Heart Center and Heart Disease in Women
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. We are keeping women up to date on the latest information about heart disease and providing recommendations from Columbia cardiologists about how to maintain heart health!